Connect with us

Cricket

T20 World Cup: Canada Happy With New York Pitch, Says ‘It Evens The Playing Field’

Published

on

T20 World Cup: Canada Happy With New York Pitch, Says ‘It Evens The Playing Field’

T20 World Cup: Canada expressed satisfaction with the New York pitch.

Photo : Twitter

The T20 World Cup matches at the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in New York have attracted a lot of attention, as its pitch has faced a lot of criticism. However, Canadian opener Aaron Johnson is embracing the unique challenge presented by the unpredictable pitch. While some batters might find it tricky, Johnson sees it as an equaliser, giving his team a fighting chance against cricketing giants.

Johnson, who scored a 44-ball 52 against Pakistan on Tuesday, said, “I wouldn’t say it’s the best surface. It’s a tricky surface but when T20 cricket started 120-130 was good total on wickets. (Now) because you have flat belters, people are getting 200. I think if you have a surface like this, it evens the playing field and we fancy our chance against any opponent, not only Pakistan.”

“I think it’s my best innings so far in international cricket. And growing up, you know that Pakistan, one thing they have is quality, fast bowling attack, right?” he said in the post-match media interaction.

“And to be able to get a decent total on the board for my team, that’s up there with the top, probably top two best innings for me,” added Johnson.

Canada plays its final league game against India on June 15. Looking at the fixture, the Jamaica-born Canadian cricketer said, “Again, as I say, it’s a ball. The ball is very round. The moment you walk on the field, anyone can win. Yes, you have to have respect for these guys. They have been doing it for years.

“There are some of them, like someone like Babar (Azam) today, he’s a legend. I’m pretty sure he will be a legend of the game, right? Hopefully we will get to play against Kohli, Rohit, all of these guys, the list goes on and on.

“And you have to respect them, but at the end of the day, you have to know that you’re a professional cricketer also. And if they did it, you can do it also. So, it’s about respecting them, but also respecting yourself,” Johnson concluded.

Continue Reading